The star shape allows for good even flow of water over the entire surface of the stone. Typically this type of media is used in a "Shower Tower" or "Trickle Filter". The media is stacked vertically inside a tall cylindrical tank or vessel. Pond water is sprayed to the top of the tank and splashes down aggressively over the filter stone. With very high flow rates splashing down, a super high oxygen content is provided to the outer and inner surfaces of the stone. The bacteria which will grow in this environment is super healthy and "Active". This type of Shower Filter was made famous by the Japanese koi breeders who use it to maintain the ultimate water conditions for their valuable koi stocks. The filter is considered state of the art. It will accomplish multiple tasks.
- It provides for 100% oxygen environment for the filter bacteria and the koi pond.
- It ventilates out carbon dioxide.
- Creates an ideal environment for the nitrification process of bacteria. (ammonia >nitrite>nitrate)
- High flow water penetrating internal passageways of stone will denitrifiy the water. (nitrate>N2 gas)
- Helps maintain pH control.
- Vigorous flow rate actually pulverizes solid waste into juice which the bacteria will consume.
- LOW MAINTENANCE if proper flow rates are achieved.